Music Program For Children Ages 5.5-8.5
The Yamaha Music Education System’s unique group class teaching method gives students the distinct advantage of learning to play music for and with others! Your child will gain valuable experience performing for and playing with their classmates, helping to boost their confidence and feel supported by their friends throughout their musical journey
Young Musician Course offers a well-balanced program with lessons that include more than just playing notes on a piano. Students learn music by listening, singing, playing, reading and – as they progress through the class – creating. This well-rounded educational experience will allow your child to develop a comprehensive understanding of music, and in time can make playing, reading and composing music as natural to them as speaking, reading and writing their first language.
Balancing intellectual and emotional growth is very important as your child progresses through the early years of their life. Music has a positive influence on emotional growth, and will give your child another way to express the things they are thinking or feeling. Discovering the expressive nature of music will allow your child to translate their emotions into sound, and will allow them to explore and voice their thoughts in an imaginative way.
Music is made to be shared! Group lessons will give your child the experience of sharing the excitement and joy of music with friends. Students learn and create music with the help and support of their teacher and the students learning alongside them. Having the opportunity to express themselves in a creative way in front of others will also help to build their confidence, and will help to make them more comfortable communicating and sharing their ideas in other group environments.
Additional Course Information
Yamaha believes that everyone has the potential to develop musical ability and that everyone has the capacity to create, perform, and enjoy the music that they make. The three main characteristics of Yamaha’s unique music education system are:
- Timely Education – Children’s listening skills develop dramatically during their early years. Each course helps students to cultivate musical sense through guided listening, singing, and playing activities and uses a variety of music and musical styles to develop their musical ear.
- Group Lessons – Yamaha has adopted the format of group lessons because we believe it is vital for children to share the excitement and joy of music with their friends. Through group lessons, students inspire each other and work together to learn and play music. The spirit of cooperation and sociability is nurtured through this learning format.
- Comprehensive Musical Training – Yamaha Music Education programs offer balanced courses with lessons incorporating playing, listening, singing, reading, and creating. Through these activities, children develop well-rounded
The Yamaha Music Education System is a comprehensive teaching method that includes singing, ear training, music appreciation, and movement. Their method of teaching encourages students to become a part of the musical community through group classes, ensembles, parents, teachers, friends and concerts. In the beginning, the keyboard is used as a tool to develop a wide range of musical abilities.
Private lessons are an important part of Yamaha training; however, they are added later when the student is more mature and has developed their core musical skills.
For the first year of YMC, students will need access to a keyboard instrument with at least 61 full-sized touch-sensitive keys. For second year students and higher, a keyboard/piano with 88 fully-weighted keys is strongly recommended as it will help develop technical proficiency
If the student has access to a digital instrument (i.e. electronic keyboard), a variety of instrument sounds and rhythms is recommended. Other features, such as USB connection, MIDI compatibility, and automatic accompaniment are also a bonus. These features inspire creativity and make practice more fun!
If the instrument at home is an upright/grand piano, please make sure that it is tuned regularly.
- YEAR 1: Yamaha Grade Examination, Grade 11
- YEAR 2: Yamaha Grade Examination, Grade 10
- YEAR 3: Yamaha Grade Examination, Grade 9
*All assessments/examinations are optional.
- 37-week sessions
- In-class concerts
- 45-minute weekly class
- Parent participation is required
- Limited to 7 students per class