Music Program For Children Ages 5.5-8.5
The Yamaha Music Education System’s unique group class teaching method gives students the distinct advantage of learning to play music for and with others! Your child will gain valuable experience performing for and playing with their classmates, helping to boost their confidence and feel supported by their friends throughout their musical journey
Register for a Preview Class
Music learning is crucial for children as it enhances cognitive skills, fosters creativity, and improves discipline. It enhances memory, language development, and mathematical abilities. Additionally, music in the group setting promotes teamwork and emotional expression, aiding in social and emotional development.
Music & Emotions
Balancing intellectual and emotional growth is very important as your child progresses through the early years of their life. Music has a positive influence on emotional growth, and will give your child another way to express their thoughts and feelings. Discovering the expressive nature of music will allow your child to translate their emotions into sound, and will allow them to explore and voice their thoughts in an imaginative way.
The joy of music is meant to be shared with friends and loved ones! Our Young Musician music classes allow your child to grow and develop friendships while learning to gain confidence in collaborating, sharing their talents and performing in front of others. In the final stage of the Yamaha music programs, we are confident that your young musician will feel excited and eager to spread their love of music with others and communicate confidently in different social settings.
Additional Course Information
Yamaha believes that everyone has the potential to develop musical ability and that everyone has the capacity to create, perform, and enjoy the music that they make. The three main characteristics of Yamaha’s unique music education system are:
- Timely Education – Children’s listening skills develop dramatically during their early years. Each course helps students to cultivate musical sense through guided listening, singing, and playing activities and uses a variety of music and musical styles to develop their musical ear.
- Group Lessons – Yamaha has adopted the format of group lessons because we believe it is vital for children to share the excitement and joy of music with their friends. Through group lessons, students inspire each other and work together to learn and play music. The spirit of cooperation and sociability is nurtured through this learning format.
- Comprehensive Musical Training – Yamaha Music Education programs offer balanced courses with lessons incorporating playing, listening, singing, reading, and creating. Through these activities, children develop well-rounded
The Yamaha Music Education System is a comprehensive teaching method in which students learn music through a variety of activities, such as listening, singing, playing, and reading, helping them to develop their musical ear and give them a well-rounded understanding of musical concepts. In addition to providing ear training, developing musicality and sensitivity, ability to play and read music, students are taught how to express themselves through improvising and composing. It also helps build their confidence and help in sharing and communicating ideas. They become a part of our musical community through ensemble playing and performance. Yamaha programs progress at an age appropriate pace starting with the use of the voice, ears, and keyboard as tools to develop a wide range of musical abilities.
Private lessons are an important part of Yamaha training; however, they are added later when the student is more mature, attentive, and has developed their core musical skills.
For the first year of YMC, students will need access to a keyboard instrument with at least 61 full-sized touch-sensitive keys. For second year students and higher, a keyboard/piano with 88 fully-weighted keys is strongly recommended as it will help develop technical proficiency
If the student has access to a digital instrument (i.e. electronic keyboard), a variety of instrument sounds and rhythms is recommended. Other features, such as USB connection, MIDI compatibility, and automatic accompaniment are also a bonus. These features inspire creativity and make practice more fun!
If the instrument at home is an upright/grand piano, please make sure that it is tuned regularly.
- YEAR 1: Yamaha Grade Examination, Grade 11
- YEAR 2: Yamaha Grade Examination, Grade 10
- YEAR 3: Yamaha Grade Examination, Grade 9
*All assessments/examinations are optional.
- 37-week sessions
- In-class concerts
- 55-minute weekly class
- Parent participation is required
- Limited to 10 students per class